We are looking to raise $5 million to fund essential enhancements to the new emergency ward at Taranaki Base Hospital - including making provisions to provide a CT scanner for the ward.
What's the current situation?
The emergency ward within Taranaki Base Hospital is under tremendous pressure. The clinical staff are working in an area that was never intended to handle the number of patients that currently go through every day.
- There are currently only 26 beds - a number far lower than what is needed most days
- Patients are often being treated in corridors or in the ambulance bay with no privacy
- There is no CT Scanner dedicated to the emergency ward, causing delays for the majority of patients
- The paediatric space is not child friendly, causing stress to children that pass through
- There is also a lack of facilities to treat patients with mental disorders.
- The current space has an improvised area for Covid isolation, causing inefficiencies when there are potential cases that need to be isolated